Founder of Hocus Pocus Online Magic Store Paul Gross dies unexpectedly: obituary

Publish date: 2024-05-02

Fresno, CA – The magical community mourns the passing of Paul Gross, a native of Fresno, California, renowned as a professional magician and the visionary founder behind the esteemed Hocus Pocus Magic shop. His family shared the heart-wrenching news of his passing through a poignant social media announcement, acknowledging the profound impact Paul had on countless lives and expressing the immense loss felt by all who knew him.

Paul Gross, a Fresno native, embarked on his magical journey by founding the Hocus Pocus Magic Shop in 1976. Together with his wife Betty, he expanded their magical realm in 1997 by launching the online iteration of the shop, introducing the wonders of magic to a global audience, far beyond their initial aspirations.

Paul’s enchantment with magic dates back to his childhood when, at the tender age of five, he was captivated by the first Magic Land of Allakazam program on television in October 1960. His passion for magic burgeoned, leading him to perform professionally during his teenage years at various venues, from clubs to schools.

By the age of twenty, Paul was touring the United States, dazzling audiences at corporate events for one of the world’s leading banks. The birth of the Hocus Pocus Magic Shop in 1976 marked a milestone in his career. He hustled to make the shop profitable, a feat achieved by selling $100 worth of merchandise daily.

Despite his entrepreneurial success, Paul remained dedicated to his professional performance career, honing his skills in close-up and stage magic for decades. He became a hub for magic enthusiasts, sharing his experiences and insights with both seasoned professionals and budding magicians.

Mumdo Marzouki posted on Facebook,

“It’s with deep sadness I report that my dear good friend Paul Gross has passed.
Paul was an amazing man. I will never forget his kindness while visiting his museum and shop Hocus Pocus Online Magic Store in California. Paul was allways there for me when I needed advise while working on new routines for the show. I will miss his emails. This is a tough one!!
Rest in peace my dear friend. your name and legacy will live on.”

Paul’s involvement in the magic community extended beyond the shop. He hosted lectures, magic club meetings, and conventions, showcasing an array of magical wonders. Among his favorite illusions, the Hindu Basket held a special place, often serving as the culmination of his performances.

Known for his forthright nature and passionate expressions, Paul’s true essence lay in his generous spirit. He contributed volumes to the Magic Castle Library and supported Mark Wilson’s Magic University by donating props and equipment.

Outside the world of magic, Paul found solace in gardening and cherished moments with his grandchildren.

Details concerning Paul Gross’ obituary and funeral arrangements are anticipated to be released by his family at a later date, allowing the community to pay their respects to a revered magician and beloved personality.

ncG1vNJzZmiin5fAo7vTrGWcp51ks7DBzZ2cq2Wfm3qpu8Kuqmaon5jCtHnOp6OippViuqKzyJxkrKyfp7JuvMCuo2afoqTAtHnDopysZaWjsrm8xJyrnpycrnqwrsitrJqqqWQ%3D